don't fight it corbiscide it

Its the thoughts about nothing that make it really something

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Overdue Chapter 1.

My names Criag Harper, I never wanted excitment and danger in my life. In fact I went for the least stressful job in the world. Librarian. Well I'm not THE Librarian yet. I reckon that wont happen till Klaus retires, which should be when hell freezes over. Oh whos Klaus? Well he's my boss at the Library. He's alright, a bit bossy but you get used to that.

Now the excitment that I was avoiding well, that happened recently. I had a brush with death, crime and mystery. And I dont mean isle 4 in the fiction section. I wished it was only the books, but it was the books that got me in the hot water.

In a every Library there are books that don't go out. For some reason or other the books are not appealing any more. So the job every good Library has to do is print up a list of the books that haven't been taken out for years and remove them from the catalouge. Klaus hadn't done this for two years. The Library was filled with books that noone wanted to read. So guess whos job it was to find them and remove them from the catalouge, yep mine.I did this job with my usual fervour. I make the job better by listening to funky-make-me-happy-music. I'm not allowed to play this music on the Libraries stereo so I have to use my i-pod. Its still cool and if I'm intrested in any of the books I take them home. So after filling the trolley full of books I take them to Klaus. Kalus makes sure I'm not canceling the good books.

"Keep, keep, keep. Ewww when did it buy that. Oh thats right it was a request. Library has never been the same since Oprahs book club caught on here." Klaus didn't like Oprahs book club. Said it was just a marketing ploy. I agreed.

"The rest you can delete Craig. Then get go and relieve Mindy at the front desk." ordered Klaus. He doesn't ask you to do anything he orders. Politley, but he still orders you.

So I'm sitting there going through the books when out of one of them falls two small plastic containers. They were old camera film continers. I opened the book and the pages had been cut so that the containers could be put in it and the book could still be closed. Now the book was a big old novel it hadn't been taken out for years. I opened one of the continers and there were pills in them. I opened the other and there was more of the same pills. Now I didn't know it then but it was at that very moment that I should have called the cops or at the least put the book back on the shelf and forgotten about the pills. But I didn't did I. I put the book in my bag and finished the rest of the cancelations and then went out and relieved Mindy. I also forgot that I had the book with the pills in my bag.

The next day at the Library there was this guy who turned up. He walked around the Library looking all over the place. When he started to throw books around and mutter to himself then Klaus came out to him. He just ignored Karl, and left the library.

"What was that all about." I asked Mindy.

"Druggie off his face. Doesn't even know what he's doing." she answered.

It was at that moment that I remembered the pills in the book. And that they were in my bag.

"Oh shit!" I excliamed.

"What now Craig?" sung out Mindy dissapointedly.

"I think I left something behind." I lied. "Gotta check my bag for it. Wont be long"

"Ok I'll ring the panic bell if your needed." said Mindy.

Mindy was ok and lying to her wasn't right. I decided I'd tell the truth to her soon. Maybe at lunch.

4 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter said...

This sounds good so far. Is this the mystery you said you'd do after the Western which never got a name? At least this one has a name... Hopefully the Koma blog won't delay installments as much as it did on the Western.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger corbiscide said...

Yes thats what this is. And I spent two week finishing this chapter. So it'll be a while before the second chapter comes out. Maybe later this week.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Rule number one when dealing with girls - never tell the truth. That's the last thing they want to hear.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Who is Karl? I just re-read this chapter twice? Is it a typo?

Other then that a good read. Will be back for more critic work later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home