don't fight it corbiscide it

Its the thoughts about nothing that make it really something

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

My missing musical years

Recently I went and borrowed a book out of the library. It was called 1001 albums you must hear before you die.

Now I've heard most of the albums in this prestigious list but an intresting thing struck me as I flicked though this tome. Tome indeed 949 pages of albums from the 1950 to 2005. And to add the required comment "All killer no filler".

But getting back to what struck me. As I got through the pages I recognised the albums from my childhood, and my parents albums that they played for me. Yet after 1986 (more precisley after page 552 Bon Jovi's Slipery When Wet) there were all these albums I'd never heard of. This black hole of musical knoweledge continued there on until we get to page 656 with Nirvana's Nevermind from 1991.

These years corespond to the five years when my family went gypsy for a while. We traveled from Perth W.A. to Darwin in the Northern Territory. We ended up in Melbourne Victoria of all places, where by then Nirvana were rocking the world with Smells like teen spirit. Mind you the 80's were a hard time to find good misic on the radio in Australia. Triple J only existed in the eastern states of Australia, and the bands mentioned that I'd be intrested in now are not the bands or the music I was into back then.

I'm wondering how many other poeple have a tale of holes as well.

Corbiscide out.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger J'onn J'onzz, Martian Manhunter said...

Sounds like me with comics starting at about '92! Don't worry, I'm not exactly the top of the current pop culture either. (That is supposed to be reassuring, not saying anything insulting! Yes I'm commenting on your blog! I repay my debts.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home