don't fight it corbiscide it

Its the thoughts about nothing that make it really something

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Overdue - Chapter 7

Outside of town Kil took a right turn down a dirt road. He was silent and I was scared. He took another right and turned into an old farm. He stopped the car outside the main house.

"This is our stop Craig." Again he was so calm and polite, like he was dropping me of home, like he was a friend. "We're getting out now." That was a command, it had a sharp edge to it. The kind of edge that was used to having a weapon behind it.

I got out. Kil leant on the hood of the car, he looked at me waiting. No not waiting,
knowing that I would crack. Then I realised something.

"You'd never send thugs to kill someone, would you?" It was a question in hope. A hope that could mean that I wasn't in as bad a place that I thought I was.

"No I wouldn't." Answered Kil. The relief it brought was undescribable. But my relief was wiped by what followed from Kil's mouth. "Now answer my question."

I told him how I found the drugs. I told him about using the security cameras to get a photo of Cameron, and hunting him down with Rat. I was so wrapped up in the telling of the story that I even told him about my non-event with Rat.

"Craig, that was way too much information." Kil chuckled. He then got serious. "And now you need to go to the cops and tell them everything you told me."

"Wha.. really. Why?" I was a bit perplexed.

"Cause you are in trouble and thats what people like you should do." He said it like an older brother does, when they know your too young to be playing with them. I thought about protesting. Kil saw it run across my face.

"Your in more trouble than you think. I can't tell you what you've fallen into. Mainly because if I do they'll have me kill you. If you go to the cops now it will be harder for them to touch you." He was making perfect sense, it was clear that he was right. Then he went and ruined it."And your not worth the trouble to them. Your just a librarian."

Just a librarian. It was all I ever wanted to be. Yet at that moment it seemed worse than any other profession in the world. I never truely understood the term emasculated till then. And inside me something wild flashed. For a breif moment I thought... No it wasn't a thought it was a feeling. It died as quickly as it flared.

"Craig, don't do anything you'll regret." Kil was looking at me. He was still emotionless. He was everything I wasn't.

"If thats all you've got to say take me back to work. I'll go to the cops." I got into the car. Kil got back in a started up the car, he turned to me. He was about to say something but I cut him off.

"Don't tell me I've made the right decision. I know I have. Just don't say anything, please." It was a warning. I thought I was at the end of myself but as found out I had a lot more to go.

Kil dropped me off at work, it was just on 1pm. Karl was so angry at me. I let him yell at me.
"I don't expect this kind of treatment from you Craig. What is happening to you." After that he decided to tell me who he thought was the reason why all this had happened. "Its that punky brewsters fault. Your all down from missing out on Mindy and now you've got involved with that minx."

"Rat." I could take Karl chewing me out but accusing Rat when he didn't know anything."Your blaming Rat for all of this." I felt a little bit of that feeling. It was rage. "All she's been is a friend to me in all of this. I've never done anything like this before and you haul me in here like some school kid." I raised my voice louder. "This is crap. I'm going out there and I don't want to hear anymore about this Karl. You hear me."

Karl didn't respond. I turned and went to the Philosphy/Religion shelves and began the loudest shelf tidy ever. It was around the health and fitness books that I came across the books about sexual disfunction. Something nagged at me. Something I had forgotten.

"Oh CRAP!" I'd forgotten Rat.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Professor Xavier said...

Mike is obviously a slow reader.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home