don't fight it corbiscide it

Its the thoughts about nothing that make it really something

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Overdue - Chapter 8

I rang Mephisto.
"What are you ringing for?" He sounded confused.
"Pardon?" I asked.
"I thought you called earlier. Rat got a call this morning packed her good stuff. And took the car." explained Mephisto.
"It wasn't me." I explained. "I got taken for a ride by Kil."
"Wow he didn't kill you." He sounded impressed. "What happned?"
I told him.
"Well I reckon I'd forget a fair bit if I had Kil drive me out of town. But I don't know where Rat is." Mephisto paused. "So are you going to tell the cops?"
"Yeah." It hurt saying that. "But I'm gonna need the evidence."
"Gee I don't think anythings left, but you can come over and try." Mephisto didn't sound too confident about finding anything. But I had to find something, anything.

I got over there and just as Mephisto said the old customer care car Rat drove was gone and her room was a mess. Well that wasn't that much different. I had to find the book she was using it in a piece it wasn't in her room. It was weird being in there without her, I wondered who called her. I had a hunch it was Kil but why? I came prepared I brought gloves. I knew the only room that got cleaned regularly was Rat's.

I risked a fair few diseases doing this, what with the occasional syringe and more used condoms than I ever want to see again. After I got through the lounge, the kitchen and the two studio spaces my result was one empty film container. I went to start on the bedrooms and the one bathroom and Mephisto wasn't happy about that.
"Hey the bedrooms of limits. People have their private gear in there." He was quite adamant, which for Mephisto was more than surprising. But I wasn't in the mood for arguing, my life was on the line.
"Meph, if I don't have enough evidence I wont get the cops believing me. And if I don't get their protection I'm dead. And if the guys dealing the drugs think I'm enough of a threat they'll definately be comming to find out what you know. So its not just my arse on the line its yours and everyone who took those pills. So don't go saying this privacy shit, becuase theres more on the line for me than knowing whose doing what." I didn't yell but Mephisto looked downcast and thought for a while.
"Wait here" he said and he walked off to the bedrooms upstairs. He came back and sheepishly handed me the other film container. I shook it and it rattled.
"I know. I let you clean the place and I had some left over. But its really good shit." He winced waiting for my wrath. I just shook my head.
"I'm telling Rat what you did today." My reply was worse than yelling or even hiting him. There's nothing worse than a sisters wrath, well maybe a mothers guilt trip. So I left Mephisto to stew while I went to find the piece that Rat made the with the book.

When I got home Kate was having her morning coffee, at 6pm.
"Oh my where have you been?" she asked. "You look like you've been thorough hell and back."
I certainly felt that way but I knew if I didn't get to the cops with all of this I'd be finding out if Hell was all I was told it would be. I asked Kate about the piece Rat made with the book.
"Gee I don't remember her actually finishing it. If its not in the studio or her room I reckon she took it with her. She doesn't like leaving her pieces till she's finished."
I left Kate to her coffee, and went to clean myself up. Then I went to the police station.

3 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Gaia said...

*applause from very back of empty theater*

Encore, encore!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger corbiscide said...

Wow!

Encore, encore.

You liked it?

And no Rat isn't on HBO.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger A Army Of (Cl)One said...

So Rat wouldn't be on Deadwood either, is what you are saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home